I CAN SCHOOLS is seeking a music teacher specializing in beginning strings and group instruction to collaborate with members of our music education team. Responsibilities include teaching general music and implementing a beginning strings program into elementary and middle school grade levels. The ideal candidate will provide high-quality musical experiences that engage students through disciplined practice, teamwork, and skill building. This individual will play a key role in designing the artistic and educational arc of the programs, leading the string students as well as helping to facilitate community and family involvement among participants. He or she will also create syllabi and lesson plans that are creative and engaging and employ solid pedagogical practices.
About I CAN SCHOOLS
I CAN SCHOOLS is a non-profit, charter school management organization created in 2010 by the founding leaders of a highly successful, award-winning, urban school in Cleveland, Ohio. The mission of I CAN SCHOOLS is to prepare students for a college preparatory high school that ensures acceptance and graduation from a four year college and/or university. I CAN SCHOOLS is dedicated to providing all students with an education that supersedes standards of excellence. To learn about more about I CAN SCHOOLS visit us on the web at www.icanschools.org.
Being a teacher for I CAN SCHOOLS is incredibly rewarding and requires candidates to possess an extraordinarily strong work ethic. A teacher for I CAN SCHOOLS can expect to work extended hours, create and sustain a quality learning environment where high academic and behavioral expectations are the norm, achieve high test scores, and be a healthy addition to our adult learning communities. We are seeking teachers who will "sweat the small stuff" and have a "no excuses" attitude. Teachers will be expected to do "whatever it takes" to close the achievement gap. I CAN SCHOOLS teachers must be able to work in a fast-paced environment where accountability and high expectations are upheld at all times. I CAN SCHOOLS teachers must possess a philosophy that 100% of our students will attend and graduate from a four year college and/or university.
- Collaborate with other music teachers to create a shared curriculum, pedagogy, and culture consistent with the artistic and social goals of the program
- Develop a curriculum that provides opportunities for students from the in-school strings program to perform together with Cleveland area music education programs
- Develop and prepare an appropriate, varied and challenging repertoire
- Participate in professional development
- Facilitate peer learning experiences among students
- Administer formative and summative student evaluations
- Communicate regularly with other teachers, on-site staff, and parents
- Maintain inventory, repair, and maintenance of instruments
- Strong commitment to the artistic and social goals of our program
- Four year undergraduate degree or equivalent required; post graduate degrees in music education or equivalent experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of general music education pedagogy required; certifications in Suzuki, Orff, Kodaly, or Dalcroze is a plus
- 2-3 years teaching groups of students or conducting ensembles
- Ability and curiosity to adapt existing knowledge to new practices, willingness to experiment, reflect, inquire, and adapt practices according to the needs of students
- Excellent leadership and communication skills with the ability to work with a diverse group of constituents
The Future of I CAN
In 2013-2014 I CAN SCHOOLS expanded its locations to Maple Heights, Akron, and Canton, Ohio in addition to its already existing 4 campuses located in Cleveland. I CAN SCHOOLS will be expanding out of state in 2015-2016 to service the needs of the Chicago area, with plans to open 4 campuses in the heart of the city. Local colleges and universities have partnered with I CAN SCHOOLS to provide teachers with a quality internship experience, ultimately driving student performance. I CAN SCHOOLS will continue its commitment, in collaboration with school leaders, classroom teachers and support staff, to obtain federal and local grants to assist with future network growth and financial needs to continue on the path of success as a high performing network of schools.
I CAN SCHOOLS offers an exceptional benefit package to all full time employees through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ohio that include, medical, dental and vision. This package is one of the most competitive benefit packages offered to employees in the Cleveland area. I CAN SCHOOLS pays 90% of employee premiums only leaving employees to pay a minimal 10% premium each month. Employees participate in Ohio SERS (state employee retirement system). Additionally, I CAN SCHOOLS pays a 14% contribution to SERS and employees contribute a minimal 10%. I CAN SCHOOLS salary is competitive and ranked above most high performing charter schools in the State of Ohio.
I CAN SCHOOLS boast meticulously clean buildings, intentionally placed print, and an extremely safe teaching environment. All classroom teachers are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, a network wide email account, high-speed internet access, and all necessary teaching supplies. I CAN SCHOOL buildings are Wi-Fi accessible for use with all mobile devices.
Bonus Opportunities and Extras
At I CAN SCHOOLS we offer a stipend for teaching Saturday School and summer student recruitment. In addition to that, teachers have the opportunity of earning a yearly bonus through a teacher referral program. I CAN SCHOOLS also has many opportunities for athletic coaching in the areas of basketball, track, cheerleading, and competitive hip-hop dance.
Why I CAN
I CAN SCHOOLS value its employees by providing meaningful and intentional administrative coaching dedicated to transforming teachers into master educators. I CAN SCHOOLS builds and maintains a professional and healthy adult learning community by entertaining several social events throughout the school year, hosting school retreats, and presents teacher of the year for each campus.
Send resume and cover letter to Adrienne Lombardi, Director of Talent Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org