Being a leader for I CAN SCHOOLS is incredibly rewarding and requires candidates to possess an extraordinarily strong work ethic. A leader for I CAN SCHOOLS can expect to work extended hours, create and sustain a quality learning environment where high academic and behavioral expectations are the norm, and be a healthy addition to a our adult learning communities. We are seeking leaders who will "sweat the small stuff" and have a "no excuses" attitude. Leaders will be expected to do "whatever it takes" to close the achievement gap. I CAN SCHOOLS leaders must be able to work in a fast-paced environment where accountability and high expectations are upheld at all times. I CAN SCHOOLS leaders must possess a philosophy that 100% of our students will attend and graduate from a four year college and/or university.
- Create and implement a culture of pride and high behavioral and academic expectations
- Build and maintain a healthy adult learning community
- Develop and oversee all procedures for the school including, but not limited to, arrival and dismissal procedures, school transportation, lunchroom, annual bell schedules and school calendars
- Supervise all after-school activities both extra-curricular and intra-curricular
- Ensure building safety and security and oversee the safety and discipline of all students at off campus events
- Effectively communicate with all constituents, families, students and staff with a keen awareness of the perception of others and the ability to adjust accordingly
- Manage conflict productively and encourage initiative in staff and students
- Remain highly organized, plan and accomplish multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet deadlines 100% of the time; non-negotiable
- Be relentless, serious and focused and act at all times with a sense of urgency in all tasks and responsibilities
- Collaborate with teachers to support classroom management strategies and instructional strategies that support high behavioral and academic expectations
- Oversee and manage special education processes
- Maintain professional behavior which is appropriate in the field of education and supports the school in terms of communication, mannerisms and overall demeanor
- Coordinate and lead rigorous, intense and effective professional development workshops which drive observable change and improvement within the school
- Utilize all data that is compiled within the school day to drive decisions and problem solve efficiently and effectively
- Research and remain aware of current education trends as they affect the school and plan and prepare the school to effectively change and adapt as needed
- Evidence of setting high expectations for and effectively working with educationally disadvantaged students
- Possess effective listening, writing and speaking skills
- Experience in motivating others to action and building coalitions to achieve goals
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner and in the face of ambiguity
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum of two years teaching or leadership experience in an urban public or charter school setting preferred, but not required
- Valid state certification is helpful but not required; belief in and alignment with I CAN SCHOOLS mission and vision is non-negotiable
I CAN SCHOOLS offers an exceptional benefit package to all full time employees through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ohio that include, medical, dental and vision. This package is one of the most competitive benefit packages offered to employees in the Cleveland area. I CAN SCHOOLS pays 90% of employee premiums only leaving employees to pay a minimal 10% premium each month. Employees participate in Ohio STRS (state teacher retirement system). I CAN SCHOOLS pays a 14% contribution to STRS and employees contribute a minimal 10%. I CAN SCHOOLS leader salary is competitive and ranked above most high performing charter schools in the State of Ohio.
At I CAN SCHOOLS, we work tirelessly to ensure our leaders and teachers can spend their time on what is important – our students. I CAN SCHOOLS boasts incredibly structured and organized buildings, systems and routines. All leaders are equipped with the tools needed to succeed including modern conveniences in technology, talented personnel, and professional work spaces. Our leaders are provided with individualized coaching and ongoing leadership development. Leaders are supported and encouraged in their endeavors to network and to further develop their professional goals.
Bonus Opportunities and Extras
At I CAN SCHOOLS we offer a stipend for administrating Saturday School and summer student recruitment. In addition, leaders have the opportunity of earning a yearly bonus through a teacher and leader referral program. I CAN SCHOOLS also has many opportunities for athletic coaching in the areas of basketball, track, cheerleading, and competitive hip-hop dance.
Why I CAN
I CAN SCHOOLS recognizes that it takes great leaders to build, lead and sustain outstanding schools. We prioritize leadership development and invest in our leaders through a one year leadership development course called I CAN LEAD. Leaders are supported in their leadership roles by members of the management team and are provided with consistent feedback and assistance to effectively manage and lead high performing schools. Leaders at I CAN SCHOOLS know that it is possible for every child to go to college. We do what is right for our students, even if it is difficult to do. We invest in our own and others’ development. We celebrate successes, both big and small. We can, and we do.
About I CAN SCHOOLS
I CAN SCHOOLS is a non-profit, charter school management organization created in 2010 by the founding leaders of a highly successful, award-winning, urban school in Cleveland, Ohio. The mission of I CAN SCHOOLS is to prepare students for a college preparatory high school that ensures acceptance and graduation from a four year college and/or university. I CAN SCHOOLS is dedicated to providing all students with an education that supersedes standards of excellence.
The Future of I CAN
In 2013-2014 I CAN SCHOOLS will be expanding its locations throughout Ohio anticipating openings into the Youngstown and Toledo areas for the 2015 school year and beyond. Local colleges and universities have partnered with I CAN SCHOOLS to provide teachers with a quality internship experience, ultimately driving student performance. Oberlin College’s Conservatory of Music is collaborating with I CAN SCHOOLS to further expand the music program and enrichment opportunities offered to students in grades K-12. I CAN SCHOOLS will continue its commitment, in collaboration with school leaders, classroom teachers and support staff, to obtain federal and local grants to assist with future network growth and financial needs to continue on the path of success as a high performing network of schools.